StockholmSubwaystoRy #18 – Slussen01.05.2016
Slussen is one of the most popular subway station in the city. Placed in Södermlam, trains from both green and red line pass through it and together with the nearby bus terminal and railway station are transforming it into a vital point in the Stockholm subway system.
The hub is visited by more than 138.000 people every day on weekdays, being the busiest place in the subway system after T-Centralen. The station was opened in 1933 as a tram station and in 1950 as part of the first subway line in the city. It was rebuilt in 1957 with new connections added to it.
The artistic touches were introduced at Slussen with the 1960s. At the platform level, Aston Forsberg made in 1964 an iron grill between the tracks. In the southern ticket hall Aston and Birger Forsberg made the piece of art called “Entrance Fee 70 öre”, installed in 1966. Further within the station, Sune Fodge decorated the pedestrian passage, calling it “Upandwon”.
Pictures joined the commercials along the tracks later on, while in 1983 Harald Lyth made a glass painting, called “Derailed”, which was installed in the other ticket hall after a competition. In 1987, Gun Gordillo built a noise-canceling wall towards the bus terminal. The station suffered some rebuilding in the 1990s and the design along the tracks was done by Bengt Rafael Sundberg.
Slussen is clearly one of the busiest and common station in a Stockholmer’s life. The station suffered various changes in time and there are still various redevelopment plans with the station and the area around it; it will most probably be redesigned in the near future again.
Check out our previous entries in the Stockholm Subway stoRy here and follow our blog every Sunday for new stations!
Photo and text: Ionut @ stoRy touRs.
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm zu Land und Wasser (mit einem privaten Boot)
- Luxus und Glamour – mit der Limousine durch Stockholm
- ABBA The Museum und Stockholm Altstadt Tour
- Stockholm Altstadtrundgang
- Stockholm Panoramatour und Winterzauber in der Ice Bar
- Stockholm-Nynäshamn Landausflug
- Stockholm Altstadtrundgang und Besuch im Königlichen Schloss
- Stockholm Tour mit Besuch im Schloss und Vasa-Museum
- Stockholm Highlights Tour mit Vasamuseum und Rathaus
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Stockholm Halbtagsausflug mit Schloss Drottningholm und Altstadtrundgang
- Thiel Gallerie und Stockholm Panorama Rundfahrt
- Stockholm Stadtführung mit Sky View am Ericsson Globe