StockholmSubwaystoRy #39 – Svedmyra25.09.2016
The 39th week in our project brings you Svedmyra metro station, one of the stations serving the green line in the southern part of Stockholm’s subway system.
The name of the station is a reference to nature, as one can easily understand looking from the platform at the greenery around Svedmyra. The station, which is almost fully outside, has one platform and two tracks along it.
Nevertheless, the name of the station it’s a bit confusing, since the station itself is placed in Stureby area and not in Svedmyra suburb, as one would expect.
The artistic decorations are made by Torgny Larsson and Barbro Johansson. Larsson installed in 1991 a 40-meters-long glass display showing pictures of leafs taken by Christer Carlsson. The same year, the entrance of the elevator was decorated with colorful ceramics by Johansson.
More recently, in 2012, Larsson went on designing also the ticket hall, situated underneath the platform. Here he created a mosaic which could represent the roots of the station, a preview of the greenish show which waits for you above.
This station was opened in September 1951, 65 years ago and nowadays it’s visited by more than 2.500 people on a regular working weekday.
Keep up with our project by visiting the previous entries here. And come back every Sunday for a new short stoRy from the Stockholm’s underground. For other subway-related topics, follow our Facebook page here.
Text and photos: Ionut @ stoRy touRs.
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Casco Antiguo de Estocolmo stoRy Tour™Tour guiado a pie en el casco antiguo de Estocolmo
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour™ con el Palacio Real y el Museo Vasa
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Estocolmo Esencial stoRy Tour™ con el Museo Vasa y el Ayuntamiento
- Estocolmo - Nynäshamn Excursión Shore (9,5 horas)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Estocolmo stoRy Tour™ con vista aérea desde el Globo Ericsson