Melodifestivalen 2017 – Sweden’s own Eurovision03.02.2017
Last year, we wrote about Melodifestivalen and the love Swedes have for music and spectacular shows! This, of course, hasn’t changed in one year, so here comes the information regarding for this year’s edition of the famous festival!
Melodifestivalen is the music competition which gives the Swedish entry for the Eurovision Song Contest. The show takes place every year, starting with February and it represents one of the most popular TV programs in the country.
The last year was special, because the winner would have represented Sweden at the Eurovision Song Contest in Stockholm. Melodifestivalen was won by Frans with “If I were sorry“. Frans managed to be only on the 5th place in the final, while the competition was won by Jamala from Ukraine with the song 1944.
Usually, Sweden has a good reputation in the Eurovision Song Contest, winning it six times in total and twice since 2012! Only one country managed to win the ESC more than Sweden and that’s Ireland with eight total wins. Måns Zelmerlöw with his song “Heroes“ in 2015 was the last winner for Sweden, while Loreen, in 2012, with “Euphoria” was the previous one in 2010s.
Melodifestivalen, in a way, gets more hype around it than the actual Eurovision. Because it has two hours of live broadcasting for every leg of the contest, six different venues across the country and 28 different songs divided in four semifinals.
This year, Melodifestivalen will have the following schedule:
4th of February, Semifinal 1, Scandinavium, Göteborg
11th of February, Semifinal 2, Malmö Arena, Malmö
18th of February, Semifinal 3, VIDA Arena, Växjö
25th of February, Semifinal 4, Skellefteå Kraft Arena, Skellefteå
4th of March, The second chance, SAAB Arena, Linköping
11th of March, Friends Arena, Stockholm
Last year, more than 12.500.000 votes were received, while almost 3.500.000 people watched the show on TV. This is truly amazing, considering that Sweden’s population just passed the 10.000.000 mark. If you are on Sweden during the show days, have a look live here on SVT.
Text: I.P. @ stoRy touRs
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour™
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town (max 16 pax)
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Stockholm Halbtagsausflug mit Schloss Drottningholm
- Stockholm Scenic stoRy Tour
- Stockholm Culinary stoRy Tour
- Stockholm By Land and Water stoRy Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour™ with Vasa Museum and Thiel Gallery™
- Essential Stockholm and Jewish Heritage stoRy Tour ™
- Stockholm Christmas stoRy Walking Tour™
- Stockholm Exclusive Private Boat Tours
- Kayak Tour in the Stockholm Archipelago