StockholmSubwaystoRy #47 – Gullmarsplan20.11.2016
The first snow is already behind us, but the nice weather is making a short comeback before the winter holidays arrive. This being said, we think it’s a nice time to introduce you to our 47th station in the stoRy, Gullmarsplan!
This station is located in the southern part of the city, in the district of Johanneshov, and bears the name of the square nearby. The station opened in September 1946 as a stop for light trains, after Skanstull bridge was completed. Then it used to be called Johanneshov. In October 1950, it was included in the subway network and in 1958 its name was changed to Gullmarsplan.
Nowadays Gullmarsplan it’s an important transport hub. Besides connecting the T17, T18 and T19 green lines in the subway network of Stockholm, it is also linked to the tram service, while above the station there is the bus terminal. This station is the biggest one in Söderort. It has two large platforms and four tracks. Parts of it is covered, but most of the station is in open air.
The artistic decorations here are made by Leif Ingvar Tjerned. His work was implemented in two installments, one in 1995 and one in 1997. His sculpture in painted steel, called Zenith, governs the platform for southbound journeys, while colorful neon artwork can be seen on the platforms’ roofs towards the exits. They are joined by the Apelsinmannen on the tram’s platform and crawlers and angles depicted on the stairwells’ exterior walls.
The decorations of this stations are supposed to express the spirit of the city, its attractions and way of works. And this makes sense, since Gullmarsplan it’s one of the busiest stations in Stockholm, with more than 35.000 passengers visiting it every working day.
Keep up with our stoRy by following our blog every Sunday, here. Also, like the project’s Facebook page for more information regarding the Stockholm’s underground. Watch our social media profiles for a coming contest in December!
Text and photos: Ionut @ stoRy touRs
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View