StockholmSubwaystoRy #49 – Alby04.12.2016
The last month of 2016 already arrived at its first Sunday. This means that it’s the time to present you our first entry from December – Alby, a station located in Botkyrka municipality, within Alby suburb.
Today’s station was opened in January 1975 and nowadays it serves the red T13 line in the subway network system of the Swedish capital. Alby is situated in the south-western part of the city, only two other stations stopping it from being the terminus station for the southern end of its line.
The station is situated at circa 24 meters under ground. It has two platforms and three tracks, in total. Almost 5.000 people pass through it on a regular working day.
The artistic decorations here were made by Olle Ängkvist. He said that the cave itself was an inspiration for his work, arguing that one gets overwhelmed here. He painted the station green and over the main color he drew various symbols and colors, creating his “secret cave”. He even drew symbols which interact with the billboards.
Keep up with our stoRy by following our blog every Sunday, here. Also, like the project’s Facebook page for more information regarding the Stockholm’s underground. Watch our social media profiles for a coming contest in December!
Text and photos: Ionut @ stoRy touRs
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View