StockholmSubwaystoRy #60 – Västertorp19.02.2017
The third Sunday of February comes with yet another stoRy from the Swedish subway. This time, we are talking about Västertorp, one of the highest stations in the city! Check it out:
Västertorp is situated in the south-western part of the Swedish capital. It got its name from the district in which it was built and the name would translate to “Western croft”. The subway station opened in April 1964, but in the 1950s used to serve the tram service in the area.
Nowadays, the red T14 line in the subway system comes through here. The station is followed by Fruängen, which is the terminus station for the southbound of the line. On the opposite way comes Hägerstensåsen. Around 3.700 people use this station on a regular work day.
Västertorp has two entrances, north and south. It has one large platform out in the open and two tracks alongside it. Its location makes it the second highest subway station in the city at 42.8 meters above sea level. Opposed to it is Solna Centrum, which is the deepest station in the city, at 16.5 meters under the sea level.
The artistic decorations here were made by Jörgen Fogelquist in 1982. His work depicts Salomon August Andrée’s balloon expedition to North Pole, which took place in 1897.
You should visit this station if you really want to get off the beaten track and get a sense of the real Swedish neighboorhoods. Reachable by metro, but still outside the central part of Stockholm, with its open spaces in general, Västertorp is worth a visit.
Text and photos: Ionut @ stoRy touRs
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour