StockholmSubwaystoRy #62 – Extra: The Blue Line05.03.2017
Even if we feel that 2017 just started the other day, here we are in the first Sunday of March! So, it’s time for another entry in our Stockholm Subway StoRy. Today, we are going to talk about the future of the blue line, as a continuation of this article regarding the new yellow line. Here we go.
As you learned from the previous article on future development of the Stockholm metro, there are going to be four lines serving the network in the Swedish capital in the near future: blue, red, green and yellow.
Also, as you can tell from our former entries, the blue line already exists in Stockholm. There is T10: Kungsträdgården – Hjulsta and T11: Kungsträdgården – Akalla, both opened in the second part of the 70s and connecting nowadays the central part of the city with its north-western districts.
There are three major changes involving the blue line in the future. First, the end at Akalla will be expanded further to the west with two new stations: Barkarbystaden and Barkarby station. Here you can see where the new stations will be constructed.
Further, the end from Kunsträdgården will extend towards Nacka with the following stations: Sofia, Hammarby kanal, Sickla, Järla and Nacka centrum.
On the other hand, there will be an expansion from Kungsträdgården also towards the southern part of the city, going through the new Sofia station and connecting with the current green line all the way from Gullmparsplan to Högsätra. Enskede gård and Globen stations are expected to be demolished.
Here and here are two videos (in Swedish) showing the plans for the changes which will be in the southern part of the subway system. Use the automatic translation for subtitles on youtube to get a decent English text for a better understanding. Also, here you can see the placement of all the new stations in the southern part of the city. This part of the project is expected to be done in about 7-8 years starting with 2018.
Text: Ionut @ stoRy touRs
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View