StockholmSubwaystoRy #70 – Medborgarplatsen30.04.2017
70 weeks have passed since we started the Stockholm Subway StoRy. Is that amazing? And the stoRies are not over yet! This being said, we continue today with Medborgarplatsen!
Today’s station bears the name of one of the largest public squares in Stockholm, situated nearby. The literally translation will be: Citizen Square. Medborgarplatsen tram station was opened in 1933, but in October 1950 it was opened as a subway station.
Nowadays it severs the green line in the Swedish capital’s subway network. And through here pass by all the three green lines: T17, T18 and T19. On the south, the station is followed by Skanstull, while on the northern bound it comes Slussen.
With its location in Södermalm, it’s one very popular station in the city. About 21.000 people visit it during a work day. The station itself is situated at about 6-18 meters under ground, it has one platform, two tracks alongside it and two ticket halls, the newest one being opened in 1995.
The artistic decorations here were done in two periods. The cheerful coloring of walls and pillars was made by Gunnar Söderström in 1979. While the ceramic decoration and mosaic on the floor in the southern ticket hall was done by Mari Pårup in 1997
Do you like what you read? Then follow our updates on the project’s Facebook page (Stockholm Subway StoRy) and check out our blog every Sunday for a new post regarding the Stockholm subway. Be a part of the StoRy!
Text and photos: Ionut @ stoRy touRs
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View