StockholmSubwaystoRy #78 – Skanstull17.09.2017
Hello, everyone! We’re keeping our recently restarted good habit and we are presenting you yet another subway station from the Swedish capital. Today, we are going to talk about Skanstull. Let’s go!
The station gets its name from an area within the island of Södermalm, where it’s situated. Skanstull station was opened in October 1933 as a tram station. Between 1933 and 1950 it was named Ringvägen, as a references to the nearby main street.
In 1950 was rebuilt and reopened under the current name. It’s history as a tram station makes it one of the oldest station in the whole subway system, being opened in the same year as Slussen, the oldest one of them all.
The artistic installation here was created in 2004. It is represented by a wall in the ticket hall showing movies by various artists. The movies are changed periodically.
Nowadays, Skanstull servers the green line in the subway system, connecting the southern part of the city to its western one. Since 2000 it went through two different redesigning projects. The station is situated at 5 meters underground, it has one large platform and two tracks along side it.
More than 26.000 passengers pas by here on a daily basis. If you were to visit this station, make sure you go outside and get a nice look at Globen, wonder the stylish streets of Södermalm or have a walk in the many parks around the area.
Want to see more of Stockholm’s beautifully designed stations? keep an eye on your project’s Facebook page (Stockholm Subway StoRy) and check out our blog for new posts regarding the Stockholm subway. Be a part of the StoRy!
Text and photos: Ionut @ stoRy touRs
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View