StockholmSubwaystoRy #80 – Globen01.10.2017
Last week we talked about Enskede gård in the south of Stockholm and today’s station is going to be a nearby one, namely Globen. Let’s see what is it all about!
Today’s station is located in the area of Johanneshov, in the southern part of the Swedish capital, next to the Ericsson Globe, the arena after which the station currently takes its name from.
Initially, it was opened in September 1951 under the name of “Slakthuset”. In November 1958, the station’s name was changed to “Isstadion”, from the ice hockey arena nearby called Hovet nowadays. Finally, with new developments, in August 1989, the station was renamed to Globen, after the Ericsson Globe. It’s the only station in the city with more than two names.
The station serves the green line in Stockholm’s subway system. The neighboring stations are Gullmarsplan and Enskede gård. Together with Enskede gård, Globen will be closed in the near future, as we mentioned before in our series. Until that moment, Globen has one open platform and two entries. Parallel to it, there is the tram station. As for points of interests, you have nearby: the Ericsson Globe, Hovet, Tele2 Arena, Slakthuset and the Sky View.
The artistic decorations here were made in 1989 by Joanna Troikowiczm. They are represented by sheets of rock and glass sculptures gather under the name of Isfantasi.
Want to see more of Stockholm’s beautifully designed stations? keep an eye on your project’s Facebook page (Stockholm Subway StoRy) and check out our blog for new posts regarding the Stockholm subway. Be a part of the StoRy!
Text and photos: Ionut @ stoRy touRs
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View