StockholmSubwaystoRy #94 – Åkeshov25.03.2018
Hello, friends! And welcome to yet another story regarding the wonderful Stockholm subway network. This lovely weekend we are inviting you to see Åkeshov, in the western part of the Swedish capital. Have a look!
Åkeshov it’s the name of one of the western Stockholm neighborhoods and the place which gives the name to today’s station. The subway station was opened in October 1952 and is located in Norra Ängby district.
Even if it was opened in the 50s, there was a tram service in use here already since 1944. Nowadays, Åkeshov subway station serves the T17 and T19 green lines in the subway network. It’s a terminus station for T17 and for T19 it’s the connection point between Ängbyplan westbound and Brommaplan towards east.
Situated at 11.5 km from the central station of Slussen, Åkeshov it’s an open-air station with three tracks alongside two large platforms and one entrance. On a regular week day, almost 2.500 people are passing by here.
If you come to Åkeshov, you should visit the Åkeshov castle, which is right outside the station. Also here, one can find Carl Fredrik Reuterswärds’ statue, a symbol for non-violence. It was installed in 1998 and there are two more copies in Stockholm: one in Fittja and one in Täby Centrum. Also, there is one in New York too, outside the United Nations’ headquarters.
Want to see more of Stockholm’s beautifully designed stations? keep an eye on your project’s Facebook page (Stockholm Subway StoRy) and check out our blog for new posts regarding the Stockholm subway. Be a part of the StoRy!
Text and photos: Ionut @ stoRy touRs
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View