StockholmSubwaystoRy #40 – Extra: Kymlinge02.10.2016
Yet another week is behind us and this means that it’s time for another entry in the Stockholm Subway StoRy. Not so long ago, we presented you a special article, on Silverpilen – the ghost train of the Swedish capital. Today it’s time for another extra article.
As the quoted article showed, the urban legends are well represented in the subway system of the Swedish capital. This being said, we’ll continue the tale of the ghost train with the stoRy of the ghost station of Stockholm, Kymlinge.
This construction at this station begun in the 1970s, as it did for the neighboring stations. It’s placed between what we know nowadays as Hallonbergen and Kista stations. Even so, the station we talk about was never opened.
Kymlinge is partly completed, but it was never finished. It completion was postponed indefinitely. This happened because of a change of plans in the developing projects around the area, making the station basically useless in a green area.
Even if it was never in use, Kymlinge became famous in relation with Silverpilen, the Silver Arrow or the ghost train, as we already mentioned. It is said that the station is haunted by the train, therefor getting the name “the ghost station”.
More than that, Silverpilen was often connected to stories of missing passengers on the route, which was quick led to the involvement of the ghost station. There is an expression which puts the two symbols together, saying that “Only the dead get off at Kymlinge”.
Nevertheless, with the urban stoRies or without them, some voices are still discussing finishing the unique station in the near future and making a better use for the area around it.
Keep up with our project by visiting the previous entries here. And come back every Sunday for a new short stoRy from the Stockholm’s underground. For other subway-related topics, follow our Facebook page here.
Text: Ionut @ stoRy touRs.
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View