StockholmSubwaystoRy #6 – Hötorget07.02.2016
Hötorget is a subway station opened in 1952, located in Norrmalm, central Stockholm. It’s close to the city square with the same name and the trains passing through it are part of the green line in the subway system.
The first five years of its existence the station was called Kungsgatan, after the road above it. The name was changed as a reference to the public square nearby mainly because the original one was confusing in terms of orientation, Kungsgatan having more than one km.
One more interesting fact about Hötorget station is that one of its entrances are situated in the world-famous Konserthuset or Stockholm Concert Hall, where the awarding ceremonies for the Nobel Prize take place every year. Also, the Hall is hosting the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra.
The architect for Hötorget was Gunnar Lené and his station preserves the architecture of the 1950s. By 1998 Gun Gordillo created the art work for Hötorget, namely 103 neon glass tubes glowing in 5 different tones.
The traveler who enters Hötorget gets an icy-blue and flashy experience, making the atmosphere here quite unique in the whole subway system in Stockholm.
Photos: I.P. @ stoRy touRs
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View