StockholmSubwaystoRy #34 – Huvudsta21.08.2016
Huvudsta comes as our third entry in August in the Stockholm Subway StoRy. The station located in Huvudsta, Solna Municipality was opened 31 years ago this week and today is part of the blue line in the subway network.
Huvudsta represents one of the least frequented stations in the Swedish capital’s subway, being visited by almost 4.000 people on a work day. Its cave is situated at 25 meters below ground and has one platform and two tracks.
The artistic decorations here were made by Per Holmberg and his project is called The Hanging Gardens. As the name suggest, his inspiration for the work done here was represented by the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.
Even if it’s not one of the most busiest stations in the city, Huvudsta is a clear of example of love for decoration and shows the importance of art in public spaces, modifying the whole atmosphere of a otherwise common subway station.
Here you will find various blending colors, hanging “vegetation” from the roof, decorated functional pipes or a floor illuminate with changing colors as you move along the platform. All these make Huvudsta a station which is definitely worth a visit, even only for seeing how the public space is used for art, if not for its visual show.
Text and photos: Ionut @ stoRy touRs.
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View