StockholmSubwaystoRy #20 – Kungsträdgården15.05.2016
In our opinion, Kungsträdgården is one of the most interesting subway stations in the Stockholm’s transport system. It was opened in 1977, servers the blue line, generated social movements and is below the sea level!
The station is situated in Norrmalm, close to the central park which gives its name. Also, the whole neighborhood presents various points of interests in the new center of Stockholm, while the Old Town is reachable by foot.
Many of the items within the station are parts of buildings which were pulled down during the reconstruction of the central Stockholm in 1950s and 1960s. Among them are even parts of the Makalös Palace. Ulrik Samuelson used them to design this station.
Kungsträdgården subway station is 29.3 meters below sea level and it makes it the deepest subway station in the whole city. Initially, it was supposed to be placed within the park, but a famous protest, the Battle of the Elms, stopped it in 1971.
The station is full of hints. There are references to the placement of the streets above the cave or reminders of the power people had as a group in 1971. With many various references, styles and colors, Kungsträdgården is definitely one of the subway stations that you absolutely have to visit when you are in Stockholm!
Keep track of our subway stoRies and check out past entries by clicking here.
Photos: Ionut @ stoRy touRs
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View