StockholmSubwaystoRy #25 – Östermalmstorg19.06.2016
Östermalmstorg is our 25th entry in the Stockholm Subway stoRy and one of the busiest subway station in the Swedish capital. The station is placed centrally, in Östermalm, it was opened in 1965 and nowadays has more than 35.000 visitors in a weekday.
Östermalmstorg serves both red lines in the Stockholm subway system and from here one can reach the south-western part of the city as well as the northern and north-eastern part of it, the station being one of the important ones in the whole network.
The name, in Swedish: the square of Östermalm, is coming from the well known main square of the district placed nearby. Östermalmstorg is also one of the deepest stations in Stockholm, being cca. 23 meters under the sea level and cca. 36 meters below the ground.
The artistic decorations here were made by several artists. The main theme is referring to women’s rights, peace and environmental movements. Most of the work is done by Siri Derkert at the age of 72 and is represented by her sketches in the hard concrete along the tracks.
Take a look here at our previous entries in the Stockholm Subway StoRy and follow our blog every Sunday for a fresh stoRy from the Stockholm’s underground.
Text and photos: Ionut @ stoRy touRs
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View