StockholmSubwaystoRy #14 – Rinkeby03.04.2016
Our 14th entry in StockholmSubwaystoRy is Rinkeby! The subway station situated in the district with the same name, opened in 1975 and serving the blue line in the Stockholm metro.
The artists contributing to Rinkeby station are Nisse Zetterberg, Sven Sahlberg and Lennart Gram. The cave is 29 meters underground and was seen by Zetterberg as a place filled with prehistoric finds.
The brick-red color of the cave offers a unique view to Rinkeby while along the two platforms of the station there are mosaics glittering with gold or runic inscriptions. They are joined by Grams’ drawings of birds.
At the center of the station, hanging from the wall, there is Roslagsros by Sahlberg, a sculpture representing a large sun made out of gold. The whole station gives a feeling which reminds the traveler of the Viking times.
Rinkeby is visited by more than 7.500 people daily and is one of our personal favorites in the subway system. To see all the entries from the Stockholm Subway stoRy click here and check our blog every Sunday for new stoRies from Stockholm’s underground.
Text and photos: Ionut @ stoRy touRs.
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View