StockholmSubwaystoRy #41 – Skarpnäck09.10.2016
We are well into October now and the colder weather is slowly settling in. Nevertheless, our stoRies from the Stockholm’s underground are still coming towards your way. This week, we are going to talk about Skarpnäck, the newest station in the subway system.
Skarpnäck is situated in the neighborhood with the same name, in the south-eastern part of the Swedish capital, making it one of the ends of the green line, at more than eight kilometers away from Slussen. Its emplacement makes it the easternmost station of them all.
The station’s cave is placed at 25 meters underground and it was opened in the autumn of 1994, decades after most of the stations which are on the same line, T17. Being constructed in 1994 is still the newest station in the whole subway system and also the 100th station.
Further, Skarpnäck’s cave it’s the largest one among all the others in Stockholm. The red of the bricks give an unique feeling to the visitor, the color being specific to the surrounding neighborhood, as can one can see in the pictures below.
The artistic decorations here are made by the granite sculptor Richard Nona and it’s represented by 17 sculptures placed along the platform and other set of 17 sculptures installed in the hallway leading to the only exit. This minimalist setting is daily seen by more than 5.000 people.
Text and photos: Ionut @ stoRy touRs.
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View