StockholmSubwaystoRy #18 – Slussen01.05.2016
Slussen is one of the most popular subway station in the city. Placed in Södermlam, trains from both green and red line pass through it and together with the nearby bus terminal and railway station are transforming it into a vital point in the Stockholm subway system.
The hub is visited by more than 138.000 people every day on weekdays, being the busiest place in the subway system after T-Centralen. The station was opened in 1933 as a tram station and in 1950 as part of the first subway line in the city. It was rebuilt in 1957 with new connections added to it.
The artistic touches were introduced at Slussen with the 1960s. At the platform level, Aston Forsberg made in 1964 an iron grill between the tracks. In the southern ticket hall Aston and Birger Forsberg made the piece of art called “Entrance Fee 70 öre”, installed in 1966. Further within the station, Sune Fodge decorated the pedestrian passage, calling it “Upandwon”.
Pictures joined the commercials along the tracks later on, while in 1983 Harald Lyth made a glass painting, called “Derailed”, which was installed in the other ticket hall after a competition. In 1987, Gun Gordillo built a noise-canceling wall towards the bus terminal. The station suffered some rebuilding in the 1990s and the design along the tracks was done by Bengt Rafael Sundberg.
Slussen is clearly one of the busiest and common station in a Stockholmer’s life. The station suffered various changes in time and there are still various redevelopment plans with the station and the area around it; it will most probably be redesigned in the near future again.
Check out our previous entries in the Stockholm Subway stoRy here and follow our blog every Sunday for new stations!
Photo and text: Ionut @ stoRy touRs.
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View