StockholmSubwaystoRy #32 – Solna strand07.08.2016
Solna Strand continues today our Stockholm Subway stoRy. The station was opened in the autumn of 1985 and is situated in Solna Municipality, in the northern part of Stockholm.
The station used to be called Vreten, as a reference to the industrial park which used to be nearby. The area changed its name to Solna Strand (Solna Beach) in the beginning of 2000s, so did the subway station, later, in 2014.
The only platform of the station is placed 28 meters underground and it serves the blue line in the subway network of the Swedish capital. Nevertheless, it’s not one of the most popular stations in the city, being used by only almost 3.000 people on a normal weekday.
The artwork here is made by Takashi Naraha, a Japanese-Swedish sculptor, and it’s called Sky of Cubes. Right from the entrance one would see cubes depicting the sky hanging from the roof and on the station’s walls. Similarly, the same types of cubes representing the summer sky are placed on the platform.
To follow our previous entries in Stockholm Subway stoRy, click here. And visit our blog every Sunday for a fresh entry from the Swedish underground! Also, let us know what are your favorite stations.
Text and photos: Ionut @ stoRy touRs
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View