StockholmSubwaystoRy #28 – T-Centralen Part 210.07.2016
Last week we presented you the first stoRy regarding T-Centralen, the main subway station of the city. Today the stoRy continues with the second part of T-Centralen, namely the upper floors.
There are two upper floors, above the bottom floor presented last week. These floors serve the green and red lines in the subway network and are placed at 8.5, respectively 14 meters below the ground level in the central part of Stockholm.
The red and green lines connect the central part of Stockholm with its southern parts, on one hand, and north-western and north-eastern districts, on another hand. This upper level of the station was called Karlastationen in the 1950s and it was the first station in Stockholm with artwork inside it.
The artists for this station were selected in 1957 as a result of a public contest. Firstly, Andres Österlin and Signe Persson-Melin designed with ceramics the 145 meters long wall along the tracks. Similarly, Erland Melanton and Bengt Edenfalk created here the mural with multicolored glass prisms.
Also, Siri Derkert and Vera Nilsson put in place the pillars meeting the travelers in the station. More, Egon Moller-Nielsen created the unique sculpture benches on the platform. Finally, Berndt Helleberg, Oscar Brandt Berg and Torsten Treutiger made various artistic contributions within T-Centralen.
This is our 28th entry in Stockholm Subway StoRy. To see previous entries in our stoRy, take a look here and follow our blog every Sunday for a new station from the Swedish capital! If you want to see even more pictures and news regarding the metro in Stockholm, follow the stoRy’s Facebook page.
Text and photos: Ionut @ stoRy touRs
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View