StockholmSubwaystoRy #37 – Thorildsplan11.09.2016
Thorildsplan is a Stockholm subway station situated in Kungsholmen, serving the green line in the network, and our 37th entry in the Stockholm Subway StoRy.
The colorful station was opened almost 64 years ago, in the autumn of 1952. It has one platform and two tracks by its sides, one for each way. The access to the platform is made through a tunnel or through the stairs along it. More than 7.500 people use Thorildsplan every weekday.
Initially, the station was designed by Huck Hultgren in 1975 – work which represented nowadays but the sun depicted at the end of the platform, opposite to the entrance.
The station is named after the Swedish poet Thomas Thorild. Later, in 1996, Lou Åberg and Tobias Apelgren chose two decorate the station with strong red paint and different quotes from the author.
Nevertheless, in 2008 the station was redesigned. This time Lars Arrhenius was the mind behind the artistic elements here. His work is the one which you can still see today – a tribute to the video games of late 1970s and 1980s. Various symbols from the popular Super Mario Bros., Pac-Man or Space Invaders are filling the walls of the station.
Text and photos: Ionut @ stoRy touRs.
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View