The Stockholm City Line – a first look16.09.2016
The Stockholm City Line (Citybanan) will be in service from mid next year. But until then, one of its two new stations – Stockholm Odenplan – will be presented for the first time ever this Sunday, on the 18th of September, between 11.00 – 15.00
The new line is planned to serve the commuter trains of the city, making more space for the regional and national trains passing through the regular and currently in-use line. The Stockholm City Line will have almost 7.5 kilometers, including the connecting parts.
A 6 kilometers tunnel will go right underneath the central part of the Swedish capital, starting just outside of Stockholm South station and joining the regular line after Tomteboda. Its construction started in 2009 and when it will be ready, will double the track capacity in Stockholm.
The project will bring two new stations in the city: Stockholm City Station and Stockholm Odenplan.
Stockholm City station will take the commuter trains traffic from the Stockholm Central station and it will be connected with tit and T-Centralen, making the transfer easier for the travellers.
Stockholm Odenplan it’s the second new station for the line and the one prestened this Sunday. It will take Karlberg station’s place and will add commuter train traffic to Odeplan area, after it already had subway lines.
At the presentation on Sunday the hosts will offer the chance to walk around the new station, view the art installed here and the technique used in the construction. Also, fika will be offered to the visitors. So, pay a visit to Odenplan for a sneak peek of the new line.
The project is constructed by the Swedish Transport Administration, the City of Stockholm, the Stockholm County Council and the Stockholm Transport (SL). See here a more detailed presentation of the project. And even more information, here.
Text: Ionut @ stoRy touRs
Photo: Trafikverket, Ahlqvist & Almqvist.
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Swedish sport
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour
- Stockholm Old Town Walk with a guided visit in the Royal Palace
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- ABBA The Museum and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Stockholm Limousine Tour De Lux
- Stockholm private boat tour and Old Town stoRy Walk
- The Ice Bar and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm Nynäshamn
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Drottningholm Palace and Stockholm Old Town Tour
- Thiel Gallery and Stockholm Panorama Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with Sky View