The Stockholm Public Library20.09.2017
The Swedish capital has many great attractions. Even if we talk about the world-famous Vasa Museum, the popular Gamla Stan or the stunning archipelago, one can easily see that Stockholm has it all. But how many of you know about the beautiful Public Library in Odenplan?
Stadsbiblioteket or the Stockholm Public Library is located in a part of the city called Vasastan, in Odenplan, to be more precisely. The building itself was opened in 1928 and its architect was the famous Gunnar Asplund.
The idea of constructing a public library was proposed as early as 1918, but the construction began only in 1924. The opening day was 31st of March 1928. Nevertheless, it was fully completed in 1932. The park next to the library and other annex buildings were part of the original concept, but they were developed later on.
Asplund’s library was the first Swedish library which allowed the public to browse through the shelves without asking the librarians for help. It is also believed that the public library at Arnos Grove tube station in London is based on the Stockholm Public Library.
The system of public libraries in Stockholm is composed by 40 libraries. At the Public Library you can find more than 2 million books and over 2.4 million pieces of audio material. Also, its international section offers access to material in over 100 languages.
So if you are in Stockholm, do not miss this stop. Beautiful, close to the center and with free entrance! Totally a must-see, one of the most beautiful libraries in the world considered by the Conde Nast Traveler magazine.
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour™
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town (max 16 pax)
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Stockholm Halbtagsausflug mit Schloss Drottningholm
- Stockholm Scenic stoRy Tour
- Stockholm Culinary stoRy Tour
- Stockholm By Land and Water stoRy Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour™ with Vasa Museum and Thiel Gallery™
- Essential Stockholm and Jewish Heritage stoRy Tour ™
- Stockholm Christmas stoRy Walking Tour™
- Stockholm Exclusive Private Boat Tours
- Kayak Tour in the Stockholm Archipelago