StockholmSubwaystoRy #77 – Odenplan10.09.2017
The second week of September comes with a new stoRy in our wonderful project. If last week we looked at the newly-created Stockholm Odenplan part of the commuter rail system, today we are going to look at the original station in Odenplan, the subway station.
Odenplan a part of Stockholm situated in a district called Vasastan in Norrmalm. As a side note, Vasastan is considered the third most populated district of the Swedish capital. The name “Odenplan” comes from the Norse mythology, being a clear reference to the god Odin. The name was given in 1926.
The underground subway station here opened in October 1952. Currently, it servers the green line in the Stockholm Subway system and through here pass T17, T18 and T19 lines. Its design allows two tracks on each side of the sole platform in the station, having two entrances at each end. Otherwise, Odenplan is situated at around 9 meters below the ground level and almost 25.000 passengers pass by here on a regular weekday.
The Stockholm Transport Museum was hosted in the station between 1963 and 1989, until it moved to the current location in Södermlam. Afterwards, Odenplan offered the place for exhibition for different graduate students from various art schools in town. Their work is exposed in the structure created by Yorgo Turac in 1996 and they are changed approximately every three months.
Nearby you can find the beautiful Stockholm Public Library, the Stockholm Observatory, the Hard Rock Cafe or the American Store, for example. Truly, one of the beautiful Swedish areas, worth exploring on a lazy day.
Want to see more of Stockholm’s beautifully designed stations? keep an eye on your project’s Facebook page (Stockholm Subway StoRy) and check out our blog for new posts regarding the Stockholm subway. Be a part of the StoRy!
Text and photos: Ionut @ stoRy touRs
- Culinary Stockholm
- Life in Sweden
- Monday inspiration and stoRy
- Photo stoRy for today™
- Stockholm for free
- Stockholm like a local
- Stockholm Subway with stoRy touRs
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Throw Back Thursday
- Travel Tuesday with stoRy touRs
stoRy touRs tours
- Stockholm Old Town stoRy Walking Tour™
- Stockholm stoRy Tour with the Royal Palace and Vasa Museum
- Stockholm Essential stoRy Tour – Vasa, the City Hall, Old Town (max 16 pax)
- Stockholm- Nynäshamn Shore Excursion (9,5h)
- Stockholm Halbtagsausflug mit Schloss Drottningholm
- Stockholm Scenic stoRy Tour
- Stockholm Culinary stoRy Tour
- Stockholm By Land and Water stoRy Tour
- Stockholm stoRy Tour™ with Vasa Museum and Thiel Gallery™
- Essential Stockholm and Jewish Heritage stoRy Tour ™
- Stockholm Christmas stoRy Walking Tour™
- Stockholm Exclusive Private Boat Tours
- Kayak Tour in the Stockholm Archipelago